Finally – A Win!!


Vancouver watched as DC United come out strong on the counter attack in the first two minutes of the match that saw DC’s Paul Arrilo fire a bullet only to be stopped by Max Crepeau from inside the penalty area.

A short three minutes later later former Whitecap fan favorite Felipe delivered a header over the crossbar that could have resulted in the opening goal of the match.

DC’s United “D” played tough at the start allowing no through balls by their back four in the opening minutes that saw them play a sound game in Caps half of the field.

Corner kicks crosses on set plays against the Caps in the penalty area earned a 14th minute Yellow Card Caution  to United’s Lucas Rodriguez.

To the delight of the 22,120 on hand Vancouver opened the scoring in the 18 minute with Teibers delivered a set play to Jordy Renya giving the Whitecaps the 1 nil lead. 

DC came close to getting an equalizer when Rooney ran inside the penalty area that saw Cap’s keeper Crepeau caught out of position only to have the ball cleared off the goal line by Cap’s Nerwinski.

Both  teams settled down building chances while each exchanged solid shots that missed the target allowing the match to open up as they approached the 28 minute mark.

DC United midfield gave Caps greef with any possible possession that saw them move the ball in search of the equalizer. 

Yordy Reyna took a long feed well into the DC penalty area managed to send one off a defender for a corner kick in the late chance in the match trying to get the second  of the game only to be turned aside by DC’s tender Bill Hamid

The week that was for the Caps saw them at least get some life in their game taking a 1 nil lead on Reyna’s goal in the 18th minute. 

The 52nd minute saw Vancouver have a chance off the wing and cross into the box saw only to have Blair send it wide while continuing to press keeping DC’s Bill Hamid busy.

Vancouver created chances in the second half that saw Reyna hit the crossbar in the 60th minute only to have Blair send the rebound high missing the net.

Vancouver continue having chance after chance in the penalty area looking to extend their one goal lead and a solid second half in the match against DC United.

Tosani Ricketts was a late change for Vancouver who had a chance but was robbed by United tender Hamid only to see DC pressure the Caps in search of the equalizer coming within inches of the tying marker in the last 10 minutes of the match.

Cap’s “tender” Crepeau was sensational in the last minutes keeping DC United from getting the equalizer in the 89th minute.

To the surprise of some the fourth official ruled extra time would be 7 minutes, which when all was said and done settled nothing earning the Whitecaps the long needed win. 

“Man of the Match” – Jordy Reyna

Vancouver hit the road for two games against San Jose and Montreal before returning home August 31st vs. New York City FC.

BC Place Stadium